Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 241 - Cauliflower Polonaise

I never liked cauliflower. I never gave it a shot really, until I enrolled at The Culinary Institute of America. Even though I am proudly a graduate of the Baking and Pastry program there, I was required to take a basic culinary skills class to begin my kitchen education. We learned some basics like knife cuts (julienne, brunoise, baton, dice...) and heat applications with protein (how to cook meat in various ways) as well as some yummy side dishes and soups that will be a part of my kitchen forever. Thank you Chef Klug!

So today I introduce you to the reason I changed my mind about cauliflower...

Cauliflower Polonaise 
  • 1 head cauliflower, florets removed (break them off, don't cut them... they look prettier)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp Italian style bread crumbs
  • 1 hard boiled egg, roughly chopped
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)

1. Place cauliflower florets into a 3 quart sauce pot with the milk. Fill the pot to 3/4 full with cool water.

2. Bring the cauliflower to a boil, uncovered, and boil until fork tender (the acid in the milk helps keep the cauliflower from oxidizing or discoloring). Drain the water and reserve.



3. Place the butter in a medium-large frying pan and turn the heat to medium. Brown the butter by continuing to cook until the butter is no longer sizzling. (It's browning when it gets quiet).

4. Add the bread crumbs and the chopped egg and toss around the pan with a spatula to coat and heat.


5. Add the cauliflower and toss to coat.




6. To serve, scoop into a serving dish, lightly sprinkle with kosher salt and parsley (optional).


2 PointsPlus for Weight Watcher's and equals one serving of vegetables.

I have forever changed my tune about cauliflower...
This pairs great with red meat as a replacement for potatoes (to cut down on carbs and starch).



Tomorrow: Potatoes Mille Feuille (mille feuille means 'thousand layers or sheets' and usually is used to refer to laminated pastries like puff dough)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your support:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...