Sunday, December 25, 2011

Day 260 - Two Surprises

I had medical issues in October. I though it was the period from hell--it was a miscarriage. It wasn't an easy thing to deal with and it messed up my hormones and appetite for quite a while (not to mention my emotions). And as soon as I though I had gotten passed the ups and downs of the physical repercussions, They came back a few weeks ago. But this time...

I'M PREGNANT!!! : )

As of today, I'm 6 weeks and 5 days along with a due date of August 14th. I'll be delivering on August 8th though (I've had 2 c-sections before and am no longer a candidate for VBAC). We are very, very, very excited to welcome our 3rd child into the family!

And yes, I'm going to be able to continue eating the way I have been, being mindful of hunger and signs that my body may need something more. But my healthy eating habits (minus this past week... ugh!) will make the baby happy and give him/her lots of nutrients to grow health and strong. And it will help keep my feeling the best I can. My last two pregnancies I ate whatever, whenever... No holds barred. Mighty Taco at 1am? SURE! (Buffalonians know what I mean : )  ) Ice cream for breakfast? Why not, I'm prego! Well not this time. I've got a plan!

Now for my second surprise... This one's not terribly off the mark for what I usually give you, but it is the completely unleashed dessert (unleashed meaning I did nothing to make it healthier) that I'm serving for our family's Feliz Navidad style dinner- Mexican! So I give you, Pastel Imposible!

Pastel Imposible (ChocoFlan) 
(This recipe is adapted from an AllRecipes.com formula as suggested by a reader from Southern Mexico. The original was a straight flan, she suggested adding the chocolate cake to make what is know there as Pastel Imposible--Impossible Cake)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 box cake mix prepared, or your favorite chocolate cake recipe prepared
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquified and golden in color. (If you have never cooked sugar this way using the wet method is easier and more controlled; see the video at the bottom of the recipe for how-to instructions). Carefully pour hot syrup into a 9 inch round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Beat in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour egg mixture into baking dish.
  4. Prepare your chocolate cake mix and lay it gentle over the surface of the egg mix. If you touch your spoon or spatula to the edge before dragging the cake batter over it will form a nicer blanket, making it easier to fully cover the egg mixture. It's important to completely cover the surface and touch the edges of the dish for a uniform and even piece of cake on the bottom.
  5. Bake in preheated oven 60 minutes set in a hot water bath (similar to baking a cheesecake). Let cool completely.
  6. To serve, carefully invert on serving plate with edges when completely cool. 
I used individual portion cups (ramekins) to make my recipe, but you can prepare it in a larger round to make cut and serve portions. The caramel sugar method shown in the video below is for  preparing the sugar right in the flan pan. For individual portions cook the sugar in a sauce pot and pout into the individual cups.



3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Wishing you a safe and happy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! I hate posting as anonymous but usually it won't let me leave my user name, I was snicola1556 on the WW user boards but left WW when I found out I was Pregnant after 6 years of trying (and 7 months on WW). It has been a rough ride nutritionally and I can't wait to sign back up after the baby is born in April. I am finally getting back to my WW eating habits, modified for baby so I TOTALLY applaud your efforts to keep on program throughout the pregnancy.
    Again, CONGRATS!!!! and from my family to yours, Merry Christmas and we are so happy for you and yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats! Good thoughts for a safe and healthy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete

Share your support:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...