Even though I am not completely back in pre-trip form, I can still see that the way I eat works.
A loss of 1.8 pounds this week! That's right on track for my typical weight loss, and I have a few pounds to catch up on from the 3 weeks of gluttony. Now my next test... TURKEY DAY!!!
I'm excited to plan a menu and adjust some of my typical dishes to be more healthful while still being delicious. I have the talent and the know-how (I'm a student at The Culinary Institute of America for heavens sake!) so it's time to put that knowledge to my own personal use.
Some of my menu items (other than the bird) and how I used to prepare them:
- Mashed Potatoes: usually Russets; typically loaded (and I mean loaded) with butter, whole milk, sour cream; also with small dice green and red bell peppers, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sweet Potato Cassarole: TONS of butter and brown sugar, and of course topped with toasty marshmallows (or smell-os as my boys would say)
- Gravy: It is what it is. Any suggestions? This may end up being my big indulgence.
- Biscuits and Rolls: I'm a baker. I love bread any way it comes.
- Pumpkin Pie: A thick and flaky crust with a perfect egg based custard filling; whipped cream, lots of whipped cream.
Stay tuned this week for ideas to make your Thanksgiving menu full of flavor and waistline friendly : )