Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 226 - Pasta with Broccoli Sauce and Chicken

I need to tools to get me back fully into the swing of things so I decided to while away an hour or so perusing a few food sites for yummy inspiration. I was really looking for ways to improve my options on Turkey day (which I did find, stay tuned) and I came across something that almost made me drool.

I love pasta any way it comes, so this was just another great idea to add to my collection... Until I tried it. It's soooooo much more than just pasta! The sauce--cheesy, creamy and packed with fiber-y veggieness-- was a welcome respite from the traditional red sauce (though I could eat that alone till the day I croak and be completely content). The addition of chicken was my doing. I need protein with a meal, the carbs from the pasta would leave me hungry in a couple hours otherwise. Altogether, this meal got a HUGE thumbs up from my hubby and boys (mother-in-law, brother-in-law, and two nephews, too). So enjoy!

 Broccoli Sauce (for pasta)

  • 6 cups broccoli, chopped (florets and stems)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 cup low sodium, fat free chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
  • garlic powder to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a small/medium frying pan over medium high heat until it shimmers. Add the chopped onion and sautee until it becomes translucent and starts to caramelize. (unsure how to caramelize? click here and watch the video at the bottom of the my page!) Reserve the onions.

2. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a 2 quart sauce pot. Add the broccoli and allow to boil covered for 10 minutes.

3.Once the broccoli is finished, place it in a food processor or blender with the stock, onions, Parmesan cheese, and cream cheese. Blend until almost smooth. Add seasonings to taste and blend to desired consistency.

Makes: 6 servings, 1 PP (yes, that's right... ONE!)

In the picture, I served it over 1 cup of whole wheat spaghetti and topped it with 3 ounces of sauteed chicken breast. I also added 1 tsp of safflower oil to get in another heart healthy oil for the day. 8 PP finished, as pictured.

Tomorrow: A few interesting food and blog finds. Stop by : )

3 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I love the idea of incorporating the broccoli into the sauce instead of just adding it to the meal.
    I will definitely have to try it! I am a pasta junkie, too (if I allow myself to be!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran across your blog from another blog. I love your story. Love your food! You are doing spectacular! Keep in touch.
    You might like this recipe over the holis!
    http://tiny.cc/cdgwt
    warmly, Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Elle and Pattie!

    I appreciate the comments (and compliments : ) )!

    ReplyDelete

Share your support:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...