Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 126 - Up and At 'Em!

For most of my life I never really made time for breakfast. I'm not a high maintenance kind of gal, so rolling out of bed, brushing my hair and teeth, and a wrinkle free outfit was all that I required in a matter of about 15 minutes in the mornings. I also thought I was doing my figure a favor by skipping a meal. Turns out these behaviors and beliefs are completely counter-intuitive. Breakfast gets your metabolism churning first thing in the morning and sets your body up for a more energized day, meaning: clearer thoughts, more energy to move, better motivation to get things accomplished. All this with the added bonus of feeling less ravenous for that next snack/meal throughout the day.

3 egg whites cooked in safflower oil, wilted spinach, tomato
 My typical breakfast includes:
  • 3 egg whites pan 'fried' with 2 tsps. safflower oil (flavorless so it doesn't alter the final taste)
  • 1/2 cup garden fresh tomatoes and 1 cup of wilted spinach added to the eggs
  • Bob's Steel Cut Oats oatmeal (made with fat free milk) with 1 Tbsp. peanut butter
  • coffee with fat free milk
  • 1/2 cup fresh fruit (berries, banana, plum, grapes, apple...)
 The nutrients this provides me with: 3 servings of fruit/veggies; 2 servings heart healthy oils; lean and yummy protein; 1 serving fat free/lowfat dairy; heart healthy whole grains; lots of dietary fiber.
    This breakfast leaves me satisfied and much less hungry throughout the day. If you want a lighter version (this version is 11 PP for those readers from Weight Watchers) I would go with the egg and veggies and substitute a plain or vanilla yogurt cup for fill in for some dairy and extra protein (which would be 5/6 PP). What is your power breakfast?

    Tomorrows topic: My (selfish) Weight Loss Goals

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Share your support:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...