Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 145 - Weigh In Day!!!

And If you are seeing this message, this one, right here, it means I have no internet and am unable to post due to Irene's crabby attitude. She stole our power and thus our internet. So instead of my Sunday waistline info, instead I will charm you with my culinary skills... And if I'm lucky, you may have to wipe a bit of drool from your chin when we're done : ) Either way, enjoy!

Friday night, while I should have been preparing for the storm, I was instead looking for ways to have acorn squash with my dinner. In a former life I would have roasted it on a sheet pan, then put a Tbsp or two of butter in the cup along with brown sugar (and perhaps maple or vanilla). Though that is one of the yummiest things to do to an acorn squash, it's an aggressive enemy attack against my midsection. So I searched around and found this instead... Give it a try!

Orange and Ginger Glazed Acorn Squash


  • 3 acorn squash, halved length-wise and seeds removed
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 2Tbsp. crystallized ginger, minced
  • 2Tbsp. butter (unsalted is better)
  • 1Tbsp. packed brown sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 375F; line a baking tray with aluminum foil and lightly spray with vegetable spray
  2. Place squash cut side down on the tray and spray back sides lightly with vegetable spray
  3. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until tender
  4. Approximately 10 minutes before they are done roasting, combine the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan and heat just to melt butter and dissolve sugar.
  5. To serve: place 1 half acorn on a plate and spoon 3Tbsp. glaze into the center.
  6. Eat before someone else does.
For Weight Watcher's: 2 points for one half with 3Tbsp of the glaze.

This is an amazing way to highlight the beautiful sweetness of the squash without masking it with flavorings. The ginger and citrus are surprisingly gently and compliment the squash deliciously.

Monday: Check back to see how I weathered Irene.

1 comment:

Share your support:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...