Pico de Gallo.
|(Yes, I know today's date and I know that package looks out of date... I took the picture a few weeks ago anticipating this post. No worries.)|
What is pico de gallo? Well, I'm glad you asked!
It is similar to a salsa, but without the sauce: diced tomatoes, onions and green peppers joyfully mingling with cilantro, lime juice and the occasional jalapeno. I throw a pinch or two of Kosher salt into the mix for good measure. I buy premade/prepackaged pico in the produce section of my grocery store, it saves time for chopping and actually costs less.
But what to do with pico de gallo... Try these:
- EGGS - Add 1/2 cup to a small frying pan with a tsp. olive oil then add your eggs for a veggie infusion
- SALAD - Don't feel like chopping all your veggies, but want more than a bowl of greens? Add a cup of pico and you've added tons of flavor and 2 more servings of veggies.
- CHICKEN and RICE - Barbeque grilled chicken breasts chopped and tossed with brown rice and 1/2 cup veggies; lot's of flavor, great combination of textures, and again, you've snuck some veggies into your daily routine.
- PASTA - Toss pico with pasta, 1 tsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. of grated Parmesan cheese. Yum!
- HUMMUS - Spread 2 Tbsp. hummus over a medium whole wheat tortilla, add 1/2 cup of pico, mixed greens and reduced fat feta cheese crumbles. Roll up and enjoy.
Tomorrow: It's Sunday, Weigh-In Day...