Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 160 - 3 Simple Ingredients That Will Spoil Your Mouth

I have been working hard at converting my eating to more straight-forward foods, trying to take in less processed foods. My body burns everything better and faster when I give it the simple things that nature gives us. Which is why when I saw a beautiful container of 'Baby Bellas' (small portobella mushrooms) at the market and couldn't resist. I knew that I had a bit of my favorite Riesling left in the fridge and thought that it might work well with the mushrooms and some butter. So into my shopping basket they went.

My favorite Riesling is sweet and smooth and has a beautifully round flavor, which is why I like drinking it. So it seemed to stand to reason that it would work well in cooking applications, too. I was right! Look below...

Drunken Mushrooms


1.  Clean your mushrooms well with a dry paper towel. No one likes gritty 'shrooms. And remove the stems leaving only the caps.
2. In a small skillet over medium high heat melt bring to a simmer 1/2 Tbsp. salted butter and 1/4 cup of your favorite Riesling.








3. Place the caps open side down in the pan of  simmering liquid.  Allow to cook this way for about 2 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium low and cook for another 1 minute.




4. Turn mushrooms caps over, open side up, and cook till the liquid has reduced to a thick glaze. keep you heat low at this point to give the mushrooms a chance to get tender. If your liquid has thickened too soon, just add a couple Tbsps. of warm water and continue to cook until the liquid has again reduced and is thickly bubbling.

5. Try not to eat them before you serve them... But do be sure to serve them with the glaze from the pan. It is packed with intense, rich flavor. This would be great with a seared steak. I eat them alone, no need to corrupt their amazingness.





Other white wines will work with this recipe, but Riesling seems to have a special relationship with mushrooms and butter. Enjoy!

Tomorrow: An introduction to the soon-to-be regular addition to my blog. You'll love her : ) 




1 comment:

  1. Now these look amazing! What a great creation...mushrooms are a new like for me and now I'm happy when I find mushroom recipes rather than skipping quickly over them! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Share your support:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...