Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 159 - Weigh In and Figs

Another loss! -1.2 pounds this week. Not as much as I was hoping for, but a loss is a loss. Clearly I need to begin to readjust my routines, I need to get physical activity back into my daily habits: my rate of  loss has slowed over the last couple weeks (due to a bunch of mitigating factors). I'm thinking of beginning to use the gym at school. They have ellipticals and I LOVE ellipticals!


On a different note...

 Meet the Black Mission Fig!

Black Mission figs; whole and cut


A gal on the boards over at Weight Watcher's mentioned that she has never had fresh figs and asked about them. Well here they are! I love fresh figs. My grandfather had fig trees in his back yard growing up and I remember my father bringing a handful home for me each Friday when they were in season. I greedily ate them all myself.

Black Mission Fig
These scrumptious bite sized deep purple gems of the late summer/early fall are sweet with an edible skin. Pick them by color--look for ones with no light yellow or light green near the stem at the top. The darker, the sweeter and juicier. The insides a a warm pink with little pods that are soft in texture.

Did you know:
  • Figs are believed to have been cultivated by humans up to 1,000 years before wheat and barley
  • Turkey and Egypt grow the most figs in the world
  • They have one of the highest plant sources of calcium and fiber for our dietary needs, especially when dried
  • Fig Newtons are not to be considered a viable source of the fruit's best nutritional qualities when dried ; )  Sorry.

Tomorrow: A mouth-watering and healthy use for that 'too small to serve' bit of Riesling at the end of the bottle. Beware- your mouth will crave nothing else after this!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your support:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...